When it comes to web development, PHP frameworks are the most selected option. There are many PHP frameworks available, but Laravel and Symfony are the most popular among web developers.
Deciding which of these two frameworks is best for your project may be tricky – each has its advantages and disadvantages, which you should be aware of before choosing Laravel or Symfony. Generally, businesses choose a PHP framework based on their degree of comfort, expertise, and popularity.
The fundamentals of Laravel
Laravel is a free and open-source framework based on the model-view-controller paradigm. It constructs a web application by reusing components from several frameworks. Additionally, it includes the fundamental functionality of PHP frameworks like Yii, CodeIgniter, and Ruby on Rails.
Understanding Laravel is easy, especially if you have a familiarity with Core and Advanced PHP, Laravel will quickly come to you. It is well-known for its straightforward coding style and fast development time, making it ideal for building a basic PHP application.
The fundamentals of Symfony
Symfony is a PHP framework built on open-source projects such as Propel, Doctrine, PHPUnit, Twig, and Swift Mailer. Although it has Symfony YAML, Symfony Event Dispatcher, Symfony Dependency Injector, and Symfony Templating.
Since 2005, Symfony has grown in popularity as a more mature and dependable framework. It is primarily utilized in large-scale business initiatives.
PHP frameworks: The Advantages and Disadvantages of Laravel and Symfony
- It is constantly updated with the latest PHP features.
- It enables the integration of applications and the most common email providers through an API.
- Additionally, it is interoperable with a variety of third-party systems and libraries.
- It features a large ecosystem of third-party tools.
- Certain Laravel apps may be heavier to load quicker on mobile.
- Updates are incompatible – it is possible that updating Laravel to a later version may damage your code.
- Many developers actively use Symfony. It has one of the largest communities on the market.
- Symfony is used by well-known systems like Drupal, Magento, and eZ Publish, making it a strong recommendation for this framework.
- Symfony is constantly updated to meet the requirements of web developers.
- At first, Symfony may seem more challenging to understand than other PHP frameworks.
- It is dependent on other technologies, which means that certain apps may load more slowly – there are no origin elements.
- The need to pre-build code for various usage necessitates more testing time, resulting in a longer development process.
Check: Symfony development services
- The first is the most apparent – both programs are written in PHP.
- They are cross-platform, which implies that they run on a variety of computing systems.
- Both are multi-user and multi-language content. Both offer the application’s structure, interface patterns, and text search functionality.
PHP Laravel is a contemporary technology that allows many benefits without sacrificing the functioning of applications. Most developers depend on the Laravel framework due to its object-relational mapping (ORM), routing, caching, authentication, and eye-catching template design. There are at least more than 1 million websites created using this PHP framework.
Symfony is among the most popular and commonly used backend PHP frameworks. When it comes to several websites created on the framework, it still trails behind the PHP Laravel. Most of the websites developed using Symfony belong to the health sector.
When is Laravel a superior alternative to Symfony?
Laravel seems ideal for situations where you need to build your app fast and without spending a fortune. When you download Laravel, you will get several ready-to-use implementations that will make your life simpler. However, not every option will be beneficial to you, and you may have never utilized it.
This framework makes it quite simple when it comes to permission – you need to set up a database and models during migration.
The most significant benefit of Laravel is that you may avoid writing excessively complex and lengthy code. It is about saving you time, money, and your web developer’s mental health.
When Symfony is a superior alternative to Laravel?
Symfony is an excellent choice for large-scale, complicated applications. It takes a more significant financial investment, but it pays off when you wish to customize your software. Symfony’s newer versions – for example, Symfony 4 – offer just the bare minimum and enable you to add only the components that you need.
This framework is composed of bundles – you may make significant changes at the bundle level without affecting the whole project.
Symfony can be faster than other frameworks – its performance depends on the velocity of individual components; thus, careful selection may be beneficial.
PHP Laravel and PHP Symfony both offer vital functions and capabilities to facilitate the development of PHP. PHP Laravel may be the perfect option for you when beginning a project like a startup product or having little projects.
Moreover, many programmers are PHP Laravel specialists. Thus, the project with more Laravel engineers is simpler to grow. But PHP Symfony may be a superior option if you have a long-term, complicated project because it is quick, scalable, reliable, adaptable, and sustainable.
Any queries about PHP application development? Contact us & get a free quotation today!