Tech has grown in recent years to unprecedented levels. Similarly, the same can also get said of software development, as it forms a crucial part of tech development. Aspects such as deployment and integration infrastructure subjects prove ripe for coding in the current dispensation. Therefore, it explains the emergence of DevOps, which has CD or CI as the mainstream for software companies.
Therefore, it becomes crucial for anyone who has an interest or heavily involves themselves in information technology leadership to comprehend CI and CD pipeline. It will assist your organization in keeping abreast with other software corporations or companies. Are you still confused? It becomes crucial to understand the concept of CD/CI and what its pipeline implies, besides knowing why it all matters.
CI and CD
CI and CD form the basis of the contemporary DevOps environment. Understanding the concepts better makes it crucial to think of CD/CI processes as software development lifespan. Currently, the CD/CI concept proves widespread. You can better understand this by considering the February trends of 2019 as contained in the InfoQ report on DevOps subjects. You will get more than four subjects on CD/CI either in the late or early majority.
Additionally, you will also come across the subject of config vs. code used within the CD pipeline domain. So, do not get confused when you hear cutting-edge and CD/CI in one sentence. All it means entails the CD/CI pipeline implementation details.
It entails a crucial development practice, which requires the integration of a code into a shared repository repeatedly in a single day. The automated build verifies every check-in, and it allows teams to spot problems early.
You have to become sensitive to three details when you talk of CI or continuous integration. It entails running the code integration severally in a day, all week. Additionally, it also involves running the integration’s automated verification. It becomes crucial because sporting errors in development prove more valuable than when you do it later on. Further, a single source of frequent errors becomes a code integration stage.
You have to integrate various features before releasing, especially when having a developers team, with each working on a distinct feature. It becomes possible to eliminate errors early when you frequently integrate, besides reducing the process of backtracking when trying to establish the error’s source. In as much as you cannot eliminate bugs, continuous integration enables easier identification and removal of bugs.
Practicing Continuous Integration
The process of practicing CI involves the following, especially if you have a deep interest in becoming proficient in the activity.
- Check the repository for the code to try and develop it locally. You can ideally create a segment for the attribute needed to get implemented.
- Try and run the tests locally once the attribute segment gets complete. It means running them in their original development environments.
- Push your commits into the repository. The repository has to come as a single source.
- The CI server will check any changes to the repository and runs a test and build operation. It implies the continuous integration server situation that creates a developer’s feature segment’s whole system besides running all the integration and unit tests.
- The CI alerts the team about the integration outcome. Four outcomes generally rank as the expectation; successful test, failed test, successful build, and failed build.
- If a failure occurs, then the team has to fix the issue immediately.
- Additionally, if the feature segment gets amalgamated to the primary branch, then a repeat of steps two to six gets underway again.
- Further, the developers continue developing and repeating the second to sixth steps whenever a new code has to get checked within the repository.
It becomes crucial to note the minor step variation based on the team’s selected tools and processes. However, the primary principles require you to do the following.
- Check the code frequently.
- Automate the test and build a segment
- Locally test the necessary code before incorporating it.
- Avoid merging any of the failed branches.
- Ensure the status gets reverted to successful whenever you create a failed test or build cause, and ensure it becomes your main priority once such a failure happens.
It closely relates to CI and implies to the software release whenever the automated exam gets passed. The released software can then get into production. The CD becomes essential in the software production process because, for releases, you must have deployment steps. Every deployment step will repeat itself for all the releases. It can help consider automating the deployment steps instead of repeating the steps for each release whenever you have to. Ideally, you can build the code and test it successfully through the Continuous Integration server as well.
Differences between Continuous Delivery and Continuous Deployment
Continuous deployment implies the automation of the brilliant build release into the production setting. Otherwise also referred to as continuous release. Conversely, continuous delivery ensures that all the good build potentially get ready for PR- production release. It always gets sent to the UAT environment, which your organizations’ team can release for production deployment.
Sometimes, it can prove unwise to transition every build into a release, and it happens a lot with software that comes as embedded. Consequently, it will require a different definition as builds with potential for release but devoid of the need to get deployed automatically. When you successfully implement the continuous deployment, then it implies the achievement of continuous delivery. However, the opposite also holds.
Additionally, it proves crucial to note that most enterprises prefer to trigger deployment manually. It happens on the business side of things. You can thus rest assured that your organization has a fair enough solution by implementing continuous delivery.
It implies the process path by which you deliver one production-ready software unit. Most times, your team picks the services to use in building the pipeline.
Activity Chain Description
Almost all the steps will be handle using a software piece or single service, though you can also split the assignment into various tools.
For example, using a Java software
- Source code regulation. Use GitHub to host your code. Try and ensure the code gets hosted in the form of a sequestered repository. It will allow you to use the software’s integrations with the primary services and software to institute triggers when code commits get checked.
- Continuous integration. Try and get CircleCI and link it with the GitHub integrations. It will allow code commits to use webhooks in notifying CircleCI. As a result, the code will get pulled from the repository before running and building the tests. Additionally, any successes or failures will get mailed or sent through slack notification.
- Deploying to UAT
For instance, if your UAT runs on AWS ECS-server, you can constitute CircleCI to automatically deploy to AWS UAT whenever the test and build become successful.
- Deploying to production
- Here you reuse the UAT deployment integration steps to achieve your target.
You can use the three primary services and exemplary configuration in the beginning to design an excellent CD/CI pipeline.
Benefits of CI/CD Pipeline to Information Technology Leaders
- The CI/CD concentrates resources on crucial things. It becomes vital to juggle resources such as time, budget, and expertise within the business constraints. As a result, you have to prioritize areas that can provide you the most output. Reducing complexity and costs can prove crucial, and this can get realized through CD/CI pipeline.
- It enhances reliability. A test will be developed by Jez humble to help you test your team’s CD/CI readiness. It requires your developer’s team to become capable of recovering from test and build failure in ten minutes. Jez further affirms that in instances where your team manages to repair the failure in ten minutes, then they qualify as CD/CI-ready.
Product development forms a crucial part of any business model engaged in software development. Because of this, you have to comprehend the critical aspects of CD and CI in conjunction with product software development. The article adequately provides sufficient information to help you through the concept and processes of CD/CI in product development.
For more information feel free to contact us.